Monday, August 3, 2015

utah valley marathon

I need to be better about this blogging thing. Not that you as the reader care, but because I as the writer care.

Often I have cool ideas or thoughts or events happen and I think, "Oh, I can't wait to blog about that!" And then I never do. I have schemes of grandeur that one day this blog will be awesome and tons of people old and young will flock to it because I'm just a really clever but accessible writer who talks about real crap instead of the 115th dress she got from J-Crew and paired with Louboutins, a bright lip and a leopard hang bag. I mean so original, my jaw is dropping. Most fashion bloggers have absolutely zero originality and get paid because they're skinny and pretty. Just my two cents.

Anyway, total tangent, like most of my writing.

I did do something cool, in fact, I ran another marathon. And fairly un-well trained.

I ran the Utah Valley Marathon in June, which made my marathon count an overwhelming two. I have a lofty goal of hitting 10 marathons by the time I'm 30, but since I just turned 24 and I should start growing my family soon, I doubt it will happen. But we can dream, right?


I slept over at my sister's house the night before the marathon. Just a note: you never actually sleep the night before a race. I tossed and turned for about four hours and then woke up at 3:15 a.m. to get ready. I had a moment of weakness when I woke up: I could just go back to sleep and not run it and nobody would care.

And then I thought of my running partner Arielle and how much soul-sucking guilt she would rain on me if I was a no-show on her first marathon. So I got up.

On my way there I forced myself to eat food (I'm a human and I eat before I exercise. If you don't, I'm sorry but your parents adopted you from Mars). I was so nervous that I almost threw up my banana, ha!

At the starting line, Arielle and I were talking to other people around the bonfires. Per usual, there were the show-offs. One guy said that this marathon was just a training run for his 40 miler the next weekend. Whatever and an eye-roll to that.





My goal was to get a 4 hour time (it didn't happen), but I got to run the first 7 miles with my Instagram role model and hero @triandrungirl who was pacing the 4 hour time. She's a mom, yoga instructor, Ironman and runner, and I want to be just like her. I told her that I follow her and she commented on my marathon Instagram photo and it made my running life.

I lost Arielle at like mile 0.5 and lost my pacers at mile 7 due to the stupid hills I wasn't expecting, so I ran almost all the marathon by myself. Running a marathon by yourself SUCKS. #NeverAgain. I lost all motivation at mile 16. The only thing that kept me going was the knowledge that once it was over, I would be able to take a nap and watch movies all day and order pizza.

I ran the first half decently fast, at a 2:04 pace, and then the 4:15 pacers passed me at mile 21 and it was all down from there. I basically walked the last 6 miles of the marathon. I finished in 4:27. Whatever and an eye-roll to that too!






My sister and my friend Laurel, who both ran my first marathon with me, swooped me up in their arms as soon as I crossed the finish line. Laurel gave me my medal. I actually started crying, not out of the feeling of accomplishment, but because it was the hardest thing I have yet done physically. It was so nice to have their support as I weary-cried.



And it of course was wonderful to have Arielle to run with during training, who mapped out all of our runs and let me mooch off her Camelbak water. 

Ok, I should finish this post with a disclaimer. The reasons why I was thoroughly un-well trained for this race were because I had peroneal tendonitis in my feet for six weeks and I went to Thailand for two weeks right before the marathon. So, those are my excuses. 


The Utah Valley Marathon is a GORGEOUS course, and I definitely recommend it. I learned some things from this one: train, run with people, and don't expect a Lulu Lemon shirt to hold your gear.

Don't get me wrong: I still love running. It's changed my life and I'm so grateful for the ability to push my strong, healthy body.

I'm training for another marathon, and this time I best not be hitting the wall at mile 16.

RUNNING ROCKS MY SOCKS!


This song reminds me of the marathon. Enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment