Wednesday, April 15, 2015

beauty and brutality



While there are mixed reviews about The Book Thief and I read it nearly a year ago, I still think about these lines:

I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race — that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.

None of those things, however, came out of my mouth.

All I was able to do was turn to Liesel Meminger and tell her the only truth I truly know. I said it to the book thief and I say it now to you.

********A LAST NOTE FROM YOUR NARRATOR**********
 I am haunted by humans. 



I read these words at a really hard time in my life, when I felt like everything was falling apart. I don't cry very often when I read books, but I cried when I read this, these last few lines of The Book Thief. I cried on the train. In front of lots of people.

There is so much beauty and ugliness in our society, in humanity, in life. I am grateful for it.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE love that book. I cried the whole last 50 pages probably.

    ReplyDelete