Saturday, April 12, 2014

Moab

A few weekends ago Brett and I made our marriage official—we finally went camping together.

We went with our besties Luke and Lindsay to Moab. I've been wanting to go there for a very long time, and thanks to Linds taking the reigns, we did.


It was prettier than I imagined, and colder too. Turns out setting up camp at 10:30 p.m. after 4 hours of searching for a camp site is kind of cold and kind of miserable.

But, we got over that (people, get to Moab by 11:00 a.m. or make a reservation, lesson learned) and actually had a great experience.

Brett only brought long running clothes, but didn't think that just maybe running clothes keep you warm when you're running. Thus, he was freezing his tushy off the whole first night. He woke me up around 3:30 a.m. and begged to squeeze in with me in my sleeping bag so he could get some body heat. Don't forget that Brett is 6'3" and rather muscular, and a sleeping bag is only made for one person.

I had to go straight as a board on my side with my arm underneath me and my hip digging into the ground. About an hour in my arm was entirely asleep. Brett had  at least two appendages out of the sleeping bag. We were still freezing. But, that's what you pay for when you go camping.

Below is us on the first morning. My Christmas blanket wrapped around my head helped a lot.


Since we found our campsite in the dark, we didn't know what it looked like until the morning. Turns out it was gorgeous.




^We camped right along the Colorado river.


^Making a fire.

After exploring near our camp, we went to Arches National Park.



^Eating lunch by a cliff. Linds did a great job at the food (she volunteered to plan and buy everything since I work all week and have a hefty commute—such an angel). We had turkey and pepper jack sandwiches on rye bread. Yumm.

We made the beautiful hike to the famous arches. When it comes to heights, I'm a big baby. My legs were shaking and my lungs were hyperventilating as we made the climb.But, it was worth it.











^Chopping some wood for the fire on the second night. 


 ^Lindsay. She's pregnant but you'd never guess.

The second night we ate bratwursts grilled on the fire and tried a delicious dessert where you put cinnamon roll dough in a carved-out orange peel, wrap it in foil, and put it in the fire's coals. They were oh-so-sweet-to-the-taste.

We also:
-played Cranium to the light of a lantern
-climbed a hill near our camp and made Bigfoot mating calls
-met some "locals" who gave us very confused directions
-got sunburned
-ate hobo dinners of beef, cabbage, onions, and potatoes
-ate some more
-saw some river otters going at it
-marveled at the amazing beauty of Moab
-slept in the car the second night (Brett and I)
-heard coyotes howling in the middle of the night
-heard splashing in the river in the middle of the night. Creepy.
-looked at the stars and pinpointed the constellations
-crashed in the car on our way home

And that is all. What a great time. Next time, backpacking? Only if Brett and I get to share a sleeping bag again. ;)


*Nearly all the pictures, like the food, courtesy of Lindsay. She's a rock star.

2 comments:

  1. Such fun memories! We love you two! when did we crash in the car on the way home? haha i don't remember that

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wait i just realized you probably meant like fell asleep - crash? right? haha nvm!

    ReplyDelete