Saturday, January 4, 2014

the classics

I've been reading the classics lately, have you?

Well, you should, especially these three.

Fahrenheit 451
by Ray Bradbury


I was a little hesitant about reading this because I detested The Martian Chronicles when we read them in high school (or was it middle school?). Sorry I'm not sorry. But, this book was absolutely breathtaking. Now I know why it's a classic.

I recommend you read this book with a pencil in hand and underline everything you love, which will be a lot. Bradbury nails things to the wall and strips them naked; he exposes all the faults in our society.

Here are some of my favorite quotes (Read them all, I tell you!):

"We must all be alike. Not everyone born free and equal, as the Constitution says, but everyone made equal. Each man the image of every other; then all are happy, for there are no mountains to make them cower, to judge themselves against."

"Cram them full of non-combustible data, chock them so damned full of 'facts' they feel stuffed, but absolutely 'brilliant' with information. Then they'll feel they're thinking, they'll get a sense of motion without moving. And they'll be happy, because facts of that sort don't change. Don't give them any slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy."

"The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies."

"No, no, it's not books at all you're looking for! Take it where you can find it, in old phonograph records, old motion pictures, and in old friends; look for it in nature and look for it in yourself. Books were only one type of receptacle where we stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. There is nothing magical in them at all. The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us."

"Everyone must leave something in the room or left behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you're there."


READ THIS BOOK! You will not be disappointed. It's one of my favorites now.


The Hound of the Baskervilles
by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


I thought black and white was appropriate for this book since it's pretty spooky. I love Sherlock Holmes and almost every adaptation whether book, movie, or TV show. I've been watching Sherlock today and Benedict Cumberbatch is brilliant and uncannily attractive. 

Anyway, this book was altogether very entertaining and quick to get through. It wasn't as scary as I'd have liked it to be, but maybe read it in the dark in your bathroom at midnight while a storm rages outside, see if it makes a difference, and get back to me. 

All in all, I recommend this book and anything involving Sherlock Holmes (can I just be him already?)


The Color Purple
by Alice Walker


My this book is heavy, but oh so beautiful. I love how Walker explores the fierce bond sisters can have even after decades of separation. She explores the lust, laziness, violence, power, and capacity for love humankind has, and the wide spectrum of people we share our lives with. I love the honest, optimistic voice she gives Celie. I love that some of the characters overcome their vices and surprise the reader.I love that she shows we don't have to be vanilla, straight-edged goody-two-shoes to be good people. I love that a simple woman can deeply forgive.

Lee este libro ahora.


And so ends my reading for the year of 2013. To start 2014 off right, I'm reading the last of the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. I'm only 8 pages in, so don't have much to say yet.

Happy whatever today is (work starts Monday. Booooooooo)





No comments:

Post a Comment