Friday, March 22, 2013

good book friday: woman warrior

I didn't forget about Good Book Friday, I just got lazy.

There are a lot of books that I've been reading for school. I've been enjoying many of them.

One of my favorites is The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts by Maxine Hong Kingston.



Isn't she the cutest? I want to have long white hair like that when I'm old. Or maybe I'll dye it rainbow just for kicks. O, and I'm going to wear really long, beaded, turquoise necklaces and maxi skirts. YES.


Woman Warrior is a memoir that compiles Chinese myth with American culture. It is beautifully written and explores the role of females in society, whether it be Asian or American. Kingston is one of the most influential Chinese-American writers of all time, and I love that she was open to discussing hard issues when her contemporaries were not. I love that she imagines herself as Fa Mulan; that was my favorite chapter. I highly recommend this book. Read it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment