Friday, February 1, 2013

good book friday: the maytrees

My mom and I got pedicures this past Monday before she went back to San Diego.


I decided to get something appropriate for Valentine's day. I can't believe it's already February!

Now let's talk literature. The Maytrees is sensational in that it uses all of the senses and completely grabs the reader. The imagery is vivid and the words are so good that I want to eat them. I literally want to eat the pages. Annie Dillard is an extraordinary writer and focuses on parts of nature I've never even considered before. She talks of grace and forgiveness in the most unique way. There is a scene where the main character goes up to the edge of a cliff and lifts her palms to the sky as if in prayer--probably the most powerful scene I've read in my life. She puts everything into her writing. I love it when writers empty out all of their insides on the page and hold nothing back.


“One of the things I know about writing is this: spend it all, shoot it, play it, lose it, all, right away, every time. Do not hoard what seems good for a later place in the book or for another book; give it, give it all, give it now. The impulse to save something good for a better place later is the signal to spend it now. Something more will arise for later, something better.” 
― Annie DillardThe Writing Life

Brett and I had a good but crazy week. We had dinner with some great friends and applied for a bunch of internships for the summer and went to Zupas and yelled at the snow for falling. This weekend we are going to relax and enjoy the coziness of our apartment.

Have a great Friday!

2 comments:

  1. I love Annie Dillard!! We read "An American Childhood" in high school and I wrote down pages and pages of quotes. Her writing is beautiful...you should read that one next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I just finished reading her book Pilgrim at Tinkercreek and was completely mesmerized by her writing and honesty!

    ReplyDelete