Friday, January 18, 2013

good book friday

I'm going to start doing this thing on Fridays called Good Book Friday. I read a lot of books for school, for my internship, and just for kicks and giggles. I'm trying to get back into blogging, because well I like to write, so I thought that this would be a good addition to make things interesting and focus on what I know best--books.

This is one that I read over Christmas break. It's Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner. Stegner was a Pulitzer Prize-winning author and an incredible intellectual. This book took me back to a time when there weren't computers, iphones, or any of those electronic contraptions that clog our lives. He focused on nature and friendship and literature--clearly the things that matter. Stegner's writing took my breath away. I read and reread sentences because they were so beautiful. Nerd alert? I think yes. But seriously, I love it when a writer says truth in such an eloquent matter. I love it when a writer gets to the heart of what it means to be human, and what it means to be a friend. This book did just that. I felt God in this book in many ways even though the main character's aren't spiritual. Read it.



Congratulations to my hubbie for getting an internship with the Royal Bank of Scotland! He is the smartest person I know and I am so proud of him in every way. Marrying your best friend is the happiest thing one can do, I'm convinced. 

Happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. Does this mean you're moving to Scotland???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmmm same question as above! Are you guys headed for scotland?!! That would be so cool. Brett is awesome! Tell him congratulations!!

    I am a total nerd so I love this post. whenever someone does a book review I recommend Steinbeck's East of Eden because it's my favorite book of all time and I think it is so brilliantly written and so full of substance. So as if you aren't already reading a stack of books, you should read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly we are not moving to Scotland. I wish so badly that we were! A lot of the work for the bank is done in the states. Maybe someday we'll get to go there. And I love East of Eden. It is one of my favorite books of all time! We should do a book club and read it together sometime. Do you have any other books you love? I always love getting recommendations.

    ReplyDelete