Friday, July 6, 2012

american pride

For the Fourth of July, Annabel and I went out to lunch on a girl's date to an Italian restaurant called Fazzoli's. Not really demonstrating our American pride there, but it was delightful nonetheless.

The boys had to work which was a bummer, but after they were done we went to Rudy's for a celebratory dinner. All my Texan friends told me I had to go to Rudy's whilst in Texas, so this was the perfect opportunity to check it out. It did not disappoint. The beef brisket and turkey were moist and savory and they gave us a whole loaf of bread to accompany the meat. The barbecue sauce was divine as well, although a little spicy. I loved laughing and spending time with friends and watching random fireworks exploding outside.


I forgot my camera (the one time I've ever forgotten my camera in the history of my life) so this is a poor quality pic taken by my phone and there is only one. Yet it still captures the excellence of our evening.

And here comes my soppy salute to America. I am proud to be an American. I love our nation and the freedom that comes with it. I just read Mao's Last Dancer about a male ballet dancer who grew up in communist China under the reign of Chairman Mao. After reading all about his restrictive childhood and the immense poverty that plagued his commune, I am thoroughly grateful for the beauty, freedom, and wealth that the United States of America possesses. I am grateful that I can travel wherever I want, have as many kids as darn well pleases me, and can pursue any career that I wish. I am grateful that I don't have to eat dried yams everyday and share a twin bed with four other people. I am grateful that I can complain about Obama and no government officials will rip me from my home and family and kill me in front of everyone via firing squad. I am grateful we have a democracy with checks and balances that will never allow for a dictatorship disguised as something good. God bless the USA!


I just had to include this song. My mom cries every time she hears it, and it's the song we always sing on the Fourth. Plus I have a lot of family in the military, some who have died in battle, thus this song and the images accompanying it hit me especially hard.

I hope you had a great Fourth of July, even if you're not American!

No comments:

Post a Comment