Friday, May 18, 2012

texas and gratefuls


Texas has been interesting so far. It is 500,000,000 times better than our time selling in Minnesota last summer, but it still has its up and downs.

We do not have Internet in our apartment right now because of really frustrating circumstances that involve us having to move apartments in a week and a half. Half of my work I have to do through the Internet, and the websites I need to access don't work on my phone. So I sit in the clubhouse computer lab pretty much all day while Brett goes out selling door to door, which I must admit is a much worse job than mine. I also get incredibly homesick after the sun goes down and Brett's not home yet. It literally hits everyday exactly at 7:30pm when the sky is growing dark. I could never live alone.

While some things stink, we are still enjoying ourselves. We went to Dave and Busters on Tuesday with all of Brett's team as a celebration for hitting their selling numbers. We also had a mini date night last night where we ate Little Caesar's, made a couch fort, and watched the movie Contagion. I also got a much needed hair cut this morning, that I will post pictures of in the future. I've also had some girl time with the wives here which has kept me from going insane with loneliness.

 I just finished reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and am now on Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (duh). I really liked the message of The Alchemist: to realize that everything in the world is connected and that we all have "Personal Legends" or missions to fulfill in our lives that will bring us great happiness. I'm not sure what my exact "Personal Legend" is other than being a nice person and a good mother and wife. I would like to write a book someday and be a great influence for good on people somehow, so maybe that's a part of it too.

I have a giant reading list for this summer. It's filled with a lot of classics like Pride and Prejudice (yes, I am an English major and I still have never read this book, or any Jane Austen for that matter. My sisters-in-laws think I'm crazy), The Screwtape Letters, The Age of Innocence, As You Like It and The New Testament of the King James Bible. I also am really excited to read Mao's Last Dancer, which is one of my mom's favorites books and is a phenomenal movie about a Chinese danseur or male ballet dancer.

I am grateful for all that I have. I have so much to look forward to and so much that is wonderful right now in the present. My mom is coming to visit for a few days, and then it is Brett's birthday and then we are going to Lake Tahoe for a weekend to visit the Candland side of the family. So those are the exciting things in the future. But, in the present, I'm grateful that we have a car that works, a nice and safe apartment, and each other. I'm grateful that there are other wives out here who I have as company, and I'm grateful that stores are really close to where we live including Super Target and Kroger. I'm especially grateful that I got a scholarship for next school year that is paying full tuition; what a relief to not have to worry about that! I'm grateful for my Heavenly Father who is truly watching out for Brett and me. I'm grateful that the sun is shining today.

I need to focus on the positive more and count my blessings rather than add up the things that go wrong.
I am grateful for the good things and the bad things in my life. Even so, the good far outweighs the bad.

2 comments:

  1. The Alchemist is one of my all time favorite books (along with East of Eden and Pastures of Heaven- both Steinbeck- you should read!) isn't it incredible? When I read it it makes me completely inspired by life. Thinking of you guys in TX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. East of Eden is one of my favorite books too! I've never heard of Pastures of Heaven, but I love Steinbeck so I definitely will check that out! Yeah, The Alchemist is completely inspiring!

      Delete