Saturday, April 28, 2012

last bit of guatemala

On Thursday of our trip to Guatemala, we took a break from our labors and went to the famous market in Chichicastenango. Brett and Elliott were sick that day due to drinking the water (don't drink the water!) so Rachel and I explored the market together.

The market was so fun and so busy! There were so many Guatemalans screaming their prices and trying to get our attention and bargaining with us and bombarding us with little trinkets. I loved everything that they sold there and I wanted to buy it all! I really wanted to get some Mayan shirts and skirts that the Guatemalan women wear, but I decided against it because I would never actually wear them in real life. The Mayan shirts looked great on Rachel though as seen here:


She ended up buying this orange shirt for 25 quetzales (which is about 3 U.S. dollars) because the little old lady who made the shirt kept bugging Rachel until she bought it. The shirt was originally 80 quetzales, so it was quite a bargain.

Here are the other pictures from our adventure at Chichicastenango's market:

I put my backsack on my belly instead of on my back to prevent any sly pickpockets from stealing my goodies. I also put my money in a Victoria's secret place (if you catch my drift).  I'm a pro at this traveling business.
 Down one of the little streetways.
 Cool cathedral right in the heart of the market.



 Pretty art sold at the market.
I got beautiful jade earrings, a refrigerator magnet (Brett and I collect them), bookmark, nativity scene, 6 brightly striped placemats and napkins, and some other stuff I can't remember. It was a shopping success!

Then we ate lunch at Hotel de Santo Tomas right across the street from the market. The place was absolutely gorgeous and we stuffed our faces at the delicious buffet.


 The courtyard inside.

 End of the buffet line.

 Mayan bowls the food was placed on.
Rachel and I tried cow tongue. It wasn't that bad. It was just really chewy.

The rest of Thursday we spent with sick Brett and watched We Bought a Zoo, which is an adorable, inspiring movie and you should watch it. There was a crazy lightning storm that night so we snuggled inside.

On Friday, we went ziplining! I was pretty nervous beforehand because I am terrified of heights, but it was actually amazingly fun.

 The three amigos with our ziplining gear on.


 Monkeys on our hike up the mountain!

 We crossed some treacherous bridges with beautiful waterfalls.
Brett after one of his rides down the mountain on the zipline.
 Rachel cruising on the zipline.
And me.

 The whole group had to go through an obstacle course at the end. Two of the girls, Annie and Larissa, got intertwined and were stuck for quite a while. It was amusing to watch.

We also went to a lovely butterfly exhibit
 Cool beetle huh?

After ziplining and the butterfly place, we said farewell to the Rancho Grande Inn and Panajachel and headed on the three hour bus drive to Guatemala City. That night we stayed at a wonderful, fancy hotel called the Barcelo and had an extraordinary seafood buffet. We also had the privelege to talk to mission presidents from all over Central America who were there for a big conference.
 The seafood buffet. We all had such red noses.
 The Call family at the buffet.

Sadly, we had to leave on Saturday. It was such an amazing trip filled with work and fun.

Candland/McCloskey picture before we left for the airport.

Rachel, Brett and I got to Las Vegas at 2:00am (you know, in the morning) and then drove straight to Provo. We parked our car in the parking lot of a Walmart for a few hours so Brett could get some sleep, and then drove on. We got to Provo around 9:30am on Sunday and promptly crashed and slept for many hours.

Guatemala was spectacular. I am so happy that we had the privilege to be there among the people and experience so many new and exciting things. That place will always have a special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment