Thursday, April 5, 2012

11 things

My friend Aubrey tagged me in her post where she answered 11 questions about herself. I thought her answers were very unique and gave me a deeper insight into her personality and such. So by golly, I'm going to answer them too!

1) Blogging. Why?

I started blogging when Brett and I got married. I saw that all my other married friends had blogs, and I wanted to jump on the bandwagon. But, blogging has become so much more than that. It is now my journal of sorts, and a way for me to document the newlywed Candland life. Blogging is very enjoyable for me and it has become one of my favorite hobbies, probably because I love to write. I also love the feeling of community with my blogging sistas.

 2) If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

I wish I could sing. I have a terrible voice, and I get very self-conscious when people can hear me singing in church on my pew. Brett and I always joke that we should sing a duet in church one Sunday and document the reactions of the congregation. We, the Candlands, have pretty screechy voices. I used to sing Phantom of the Opera in the shower and my whole family would yell "shut up!" hehe.  I want Adele's voice so badly. She rocks my socks.

I just want to belt Rolling in the Deep like Adele!

3) Chocolate or Vanilla? Think about it.

I'm a Vanilla girl. I know, I know, lame say the vibrant chocolate lovers. But, I love Vanilla ice cream and rather dislike Chocolate ice cream (except for Extreme Mousse Tracks; it is heaven sent). And my favorite desserts are vanilla based such as creme brulee.


4) Your favorite movie genre?

I like movies that are filled with bright colors or intense in plot or subject matter. I don't think those are real movie genres, but nonetheless. Intense movies examples: V for Vendetta, Inception, Slumdog Millionaire, Sherlock Holmes, Lord of the Rings. Bright color movie examples: Avatar, Penelope, Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton version) and Stardust. Bright, artistic movies make me happy. I realize that these genres can be wildly different; I guess it just shows the wide gap between the two sides of my personality.

Can you feel the intensity? ;)

The bright colores de mi vida!

5) What/Who inspires you?

Honestly, this was very hard to pinpoint because a lot of people inspire me. But, to narrow it down, modern female writers inspire me. I love the success stories of J. K. Rowling (Harry Potter woman, obviously), Stephenie Meyer (author of the Twilight series, even if her books are not the best), and Suzanne Collins (author of The Hunger Games trilogy). I also have a profound admiration for Libba Bray (author of A Great and Terrible Beauty trilogy). I am happy that these women can be mothers and successful, creative writers simultaneously. It gives me hope for my future, as an aspiring fiction writer.

Libba Bray. If you haven't read her books and you like Victorian folklore mixed with humor and beauty, you should read A Great and Terrible Beauty!

6) The greatest lesson you have learned in the past year?

I am young and I have so much life yet to live. I have a lot of time. I don't have to run 15 marathons, and write 5 novels and save the world all today. There is a time for everything.

7) Gun to your head. Pick one favorite movie. Just one.



The Lord of the Rings. I'm counting the trilogy as one movie. You all are like, This girl is crazy! But, it's a family tradition to watch Lord of the Rings every Christmastime and whenever the whole family is together. My uncle and dad are fanatics, and I grew up loving J. R. R. Tolkien and all of his stories. My uncle even collects Lord of the Rings figurines including Legolas' knife and Frodo's Sting. We've played The Lord of the Rings trivial pursuit every Christmastime for about five years. The movies are very powerful and moving, but they also create a sense of nostalgia in me because I've watched them so many times with the people I love.

 Not to mention Aragorn is a sexy beast!

8) Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

Good question. I see myself possibly being a mom to a little baby (not any older than 6 months hopefully). I hope to be living in California with Brett, who will be a successful financial investor/planner/stock broker. I see myself having run a few marathons, teaching yoga classes on Thursday mornings and taking my baby out to story time at the library. I see myself writing a book and possibly having a wedding invitation business on the side. I see myself happy.

9) Dream travel spot?

There are so many places I want to go, I have to just pick one?! I would have to pick Jerusalem. I would love to walk where Christ walked. There is so much rich history that lies within that ancient, Holy land.


10) Random fact about yourself?

I love socks, especially Christmas themed socks. I cannot sleep without socks. Ever. Even in the summer when it is 115 degrees outside. If one of my socks falls off in the middle of the night, my body automatically wakes up and I must put it back on to fall back asleep.

11) Favorite way to relax?

I'm going to steal Aubrey's and say showering. Whenever I am stressed out or sad, I want to take a shower. A bath is nice too. I would shower five times a day if Brett let me. I also take unreasonably long showers and put the water on steaming hot until my skin turns red.


That was fun! I learned a lot about myself doing that, surprisingly. I hope you learned a thing or two about me as well. Thanks for tagging me, Aubrey.

Brett and I are leaving for Guatemala tomorrow! I can't believe it! I have so. many. things. to. do. before we leave. No sleep tonight.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment