Wednesday, December 14, 2011

ode to education


This semester I had the pleasure of working on the design and editing teams for the BYU Linguistics journal, Schwa. It was a great experience and I learned a lot about InDesign, editing and how a journal runs.

This semester I also took a print publishing class and l.o.v.e.d. it. I designed a logo, phonebook ad, portfolio, newsletter and 50 page book. 

Thus far I am in love with the editing minor and I may have found my chosen career path. I would love to go into publishing. Designing and editing books. That type of stuff. But mainly designing. A job with Deseret Book would be amazing!

I can't look at a book or a journal or a newsletter anymore without noticing and critiquing its design elements.

But I also love my English major and learning all about amazing literature and improving my writing skills. So maybe I'll go to grad school and then get my PHD and become an American and British literature professor and a novelist on the side?

Haha, so maybe I'm still a little torn. But, at least I know I would be perfectly happy being an editor and designer of books. 
I am so happy that I am in school. Even though finals suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck and I still have four more (yes 4, and yes I count final papers as finals) I am so thankful that I go to an incredible university where I get to learn from professionals who know what they're talking about and have an inspiring passion for what they're teaching. I am lucky that I'm in love with my major and my minor. Gah, I am so full of love for learning and education!! ha. 

So nerd I will be because nerds are the best. 

BYU, I will miss you the day I graduate. I don't even want to think about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment