Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christmas Around the World

Last night I saw Christmas Around the World.
By myself, yep. Don't hate.
I bought my ticket at about 7:15 and the show started at 7:30 and I still got a second row seat. 
Wahoo! That's what you earn from going to a show by yourself.


Christmas Around the World is the annual Christmas dance show produced by the 
BYU Folk Dance Department.
It is i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.e. and spiritual and happy and entertaining.
Seeing all of the dancers perform made me ridiculously nostalgic.
This is the first year of my college career that I have not danced in Christmas Around the World.
Dancing in that show has been one of my favorite and most treasured memories from BYU.


The show was fantastic. I really liked the Indian (with a dot not a feather) dance, the flirty pioneer dance (good job BackPac), the Israeli wedding dance (the men balance wine bottles on their heads and do all of these intensive dance moves), the clogging number (if you have never clogged, by golly you should do it. It is one of the most fun dance styles there is in my opinion. . .and I've done a lot of dance styles), the Irish hard shoe dance, and of course the final dance, Hopak (a Ukranian dance where the men do a bunch of flips and tricks). This is the first time that I've seen the show from the perspective of the audience and as an audience member I was thoroughly impressed.There is so much talent at BYU.


Seeing the show made me think of my years in folk dance. Ok ok, yes folk dance is very dorky, but it is immensely fun to do and the people are extremely nice. So who cares if it's not the coolest thing in the world?? I don't!


These are the years I was in Christmas Around the World/folk dance (warning, this will be a picture overload):

 My partner, Abram, and I had a Russian duet. He didn't always look this unhappy haha.






 Homecoming Parade! We danced down all of the streets. . .it was a mile and a half. We were pretty tired by the end.






I miss it I miss it I miss it.



1 comment:

  1. I don't think folk dancing is dorky at all! I think it's so awesome you did it! Looks like a blast! And you should have called me cause I would have totally come with you! I love byu concerts!!!!

    ReplyDelete